You wish to be alarmed for any new work by this artist? Please enter your email.
I live in a paradise of diabolical blue balls where I pursue this unique mathematic of my imagination.
Samuel Francis, said Sam Francis, was born in San Mateo (United States) in 1923. He studied Botany, then Psychology to Berkeley. Pilot of the US Air Forces during the Second World War, his plane crashed and his spinal column was seriously injured. He spent almost four years, immobilized in a hospital bed. He received a watercolor set during this long convalescence, and began painting what he saw . . .
See & discover
The works presented on this page are not available anymore.
Catalogue(s) raisonné(s)*« Sam Francis », P. Seltz, Ed. Abrams , New York, 1982 *« Intaglio prints, screenprints & posters 1960-1990 », C.W. Lembark, Ed. Hudson Hills Press, New York, 1992
Bibliographic track & more
To read about the artist :
- « Sam Francis », 3 volumes, Kornfeld et Klipstein, Berne, 1961 et 1963
- « Sam Francis », Peter Seltz, Abrams ed., New York, 1982
- « S. Francis - Opere dal 1960 al 1983 », B. Carmine, Studio Marconi, 1983
- « Sam Francis : monotypes et peintures », cat. d'expo., Ed. Fond. Maeght, 1983
- « Sam Francis », P. Hulten, Cantz, Stuttgart, 1993
- « S. Francis : The shadow of colors », P. Iden et autres, Ed. Stemmle, 1995
- « Sam Francis, les années parisiennes, 1950-1961 », D. Abadie, Jeu de Paume, 1996
- « Histoire de l’abstraction aux États-Unis », Eric de Chassey, Ed. Gallimard, 2001
- « Abstraction américaine », K. et O. Hübner, Ed. de Saint-Louis, 2013
- « Sam Francis », John Yau, Ed. Bernard Jacobson Ltd, 2014
To read from the artist :
- « Saturated blue », Ed. Lapis Press, 1995
- « Mon art, mon métier, ma magie ... », Yves Michaud, Ed. L'Atelier Contemporain, 2015
Stamp by Sam Francis
The publication of a postal stamp is often a homage paid by a nation to a place, an event, a remarkable cause or a character which count. The painters and other artists do not escape from this rule. Some are however "forgotten" of postal art. Here, gathered below (French or foreign), emitted stamps (206) or simple studies of stamp (224) in homage to the artists represented on our website. The first French stamp was emitted in 1849, England preceded us by ten years. There is often a share of voyage in this small form of shape paper. The stamp circulates, sails, flies away, it makes dream, then dream a little. M.C.
When the stamp is really emitted, the artist name is preceded of an asterisk (*).
It is certain that we do not know each stamp emitted for such or such artist; do not hesitate with us to make known them!Discover all stamps
Reproduction of letter autograph
Document in reproduction / This document is not for sale