You wish to be alarmed for any new work by this artist? Please enter your email.
Manolo Millares was born in 1926 in Las Palmas (Canary Islands, Spain). Self-taught, first surrealist, he gets seriously involved in abstract art. He settles in Madrid in 1953 and sets up with Antonio Saura the vanguard group « El Paso »...
read more ARTIST ALARM
Biography of Manolo Millares
Manolo Millares was born in 1926 in Las Palmas (Canary Islands, Spain). Self-taught, first surrealist, he gets seriously involved in abstract art. He settles in Madrid in 1953 and sets up with Antonio Saura the vanguard group « El Paso » (« The Stage »), a group he wants subversive. In the 50s, Millares realizes tragic collages from pieces of hessian combined with violent touches of red, black and white... In the early 60s, he is known worlwide. The Spanish artist exhibits in New York (Pierre Matisse Gallery, 1961). In Madrid, Millares is associated with « Informalists » such as Antoni Tàpies, Enrique Tabara, Antonio Saura, Anibal Villacis ... Gesture is favored, turning down from art all kind of concept and theory. With his art, Manolo Millares, tried to approach the truth, dissecting humankind for an answer to his existential fear. With his painting Millares (born from republicans persecuted during the Franco period) keeps on being obsessed with tragedy, hate and death. The artist died in Madrid in 1972, he was 46.
Voir & découvrir
The works presented on this page are not available anymore.
Catalogue(s) raisonné(s)* « Manolo Millares - Pinturas », Alfonso De la Torre, Juan Manuel Bonet et Miriam Fernandez, MNCARS Musée de la Reina Sofia et Fondation Azcona, Madrid, 2004 All the "catalogues raisonnés"
Bibliographic track & more
To read from or about the artist :* « Manolo Millares - Los mutilados de paz », Jose-Augusto França, catalogue d'exposition, Pierre Matisse Gallery, New York, 1961
* « Manolo Millares », Gérard Xuriguéra, in revue Cimaise, n°130, Paris, avr.-juin 1977
* « Manolo Millares », Moreno Galvan, catalogue d'exposition, Centre d'exposition de Saragosse, 1988
* « Millares - Obras en Canarias », catalogue d'exposition, Viceconsejeria de Cultura y Deportes, Gobierno de Canarias, 1989
* « Millares », José-Augusto França, Ed. Cercle d'Art, Paris, 1991
* « Millares », catalogue d'exposition, Centro Atlantico de Arte Moderno, Las Palmas, 1992
* « Manolo Millares - Werke von 1951 bis 1971 », catalogue d'exposition, Ed. Braus, Berlin, 1992
* « Millares », catalogue d'exposition, Museo Nacional Reina Sofa, Madrid, 1992
* « Manolo Millares », Alfonso de la Torre, catalogue d'exposition, Acquavella Contemporary Art, New York, 2006
* « The destruction and the love », catalogue d'exposition, Caixa Galicia Foundation, La Corogne, 2006
Website :No website dedicated to the artist.
Stamp :No stamp made.
Artists on display
The art and the artists display: proclamations, galleries, museums, personal or collective exhibitions. On walls or in shop windows, wise or rebels, posters warn, argue, show. Some were specially conceived by an artist for such or such event, other, colder, have only the letter.
Some were created in lithographic technic, most are simple offset reproductions. They are many those who like collecting these rectangles of paper, monochrome or in games of colours, in matt paper or brilliant, with many words or almost dumb.
We are happy also to be able to greet, by this pages, mythical galleries as those of Denise René, Louis Carré, Claude Bernard, Berheim Jeune, Maeght, Pierre Loeb and others.