Paul Mansouroff is born in St. Petersburg in 1896. In 1909 he attends courses of drawing and engraving at the Central Institute of Technical Drawing of Baron Stieglitz, then in 1912 enters the School of Design in St. Petersburg. Mobilized, he works as a draftsman. After the revolution of October 17, Mansouroff enters the Russian avant-garde, he is given a teaching and research position in Moscow, where he meets Malevich, Filonov, Tatlin and Matiushin. Working with them, Mansouroff becomes aware that non-objectives works are his real path. Initiated into the art of wood by Tatlin, Mansouroff prefers this medium; he becomes his assistant. Authorities question his work, and little by little, he is sidelined. In 1928, he takes advantage of a trip to Europe to emigrate permanently in France (1929). The Delaunay host him during a year. He meets Picasso. Between 1930 and 1955, to survive, Mansouroff moves towards the Applied Arts (graphic design for tissue). He regularly attends the circles of Russian emigrants (Larionov, Goncharova, Soutine, Charchoune, etc.). Since 1957, the artist spend long periods in Nice, the city where he settles in 1975 and where he dies in 1983. The quasi-unalterable verticality of his work reflects his desire of greatness and dynamism.
Bibliography : « Paul Mansouroff et l’Avant-Garde russe à Petrograd », collectif, Palace Edition, Rome, 1995
Composition 1924 1924-1962 Drawing in gray pencil and colored pencils, signed (monogram) and dated in bottom on the right by the artist.
4,3 x 24,8 cm 16,5 x 32 cm
Without. On verso, labels of the Gallery Lorenzelli, Bergamo.